General regulations

  • There are no licensing requirements in New Hampshire and accreditation is optional. All schools are required to be registered and approved, however.

  • The New Hampshire Department of Education has assembled a page of detailed requirements for private schools.

  • The US Office of Innovation & Improvement has assembled a summary of regulations for private schools operating in New Hampshire.

  • Parents must provide a portfolio of work completed as part of a home school program.

  • The New Hampshire DOE has no published requirements for school insurance -- consult a professional for guidance in this area.

Education regulations and resources for starting a private school in the state of New Hampshire

State funding sources & support

New Hampshire does not provide funding for private education.

Curriculum requirements

The only curriculum requirements are courses in the history, government and constitutions of the United States and New Hampshire, including the organization and operation of New Hampshire municipal, county and state government and of the federal government. 

Teacher certification & hiring

Teacher certification is not required.

Looking for more?

Our comprehensive Starting a Private School guide includes great information for funding, curriculum, hiring & much more that applies no matter where you’re opening your school.

Read the Guide

Food services / school lunch

In New Hampshire, school lunch requirements, including funding for schools offering the National School Lunch Program, are managed by the Department of Education.

Length of school year

A nonpublic school must maintain a school year consisting of 450 hours for kindergarten students, 945 hours for students in grades one through six, and 990 hours for students in grades seven through 12. Each school must build in an additional 30 hours for time lost due to inclement weather or other circumstances. 

Recordkeeping and reports

Schools must maintain records and report on student enrollment and attendance.

Health and safety requirements

Schools must develop and practice an emergency response plan, which should cover hazards including but not limited to acts of violence, threats, earthquakes, floods, tornadoes, structural fire, wildfire, internal and external hazardous materials releases, medical emergencies, and any other hazard deemed necessary by school officials and local emergency authorities. Students must also be immunized or provide documentation of a medical or religious exemption.


Pupils attending approved private schools (k–12) are entitled to the same transportation privileges within any town or district as provided for pupils in public schools.


State testing is optional for private schools.

State and regional associations

Starting a Private School

Want to know more about opening a school? We’ve assembled a complete guide to starting a private school, with considerations for everything from planning and finance to branding, hiring, curriculum, facilities, and more!

Read the Guide


We've done our best to pull together current and accurate information. Even so, there may be omissions or mistakes or content that needs to be updated. If you have recommendations for any resources or corrections, we appreciate your input so we can continue to improve this guide for everyone. 

Nothing in this guide should be construed as legal, business, or tax advice. It is important that you engage qualified professionals who can advise you on such matters, and please visit the Department of Education pages for your state to verify you are in compliance with all regulations.

Keep reading