General regulations

  • Schools must be approved or recognized by the state.

  • The Vermont Agency of Education has assembled a page of detailed requirements for private schools.

  • The US Office of Innovation & Improvement has assembled a summary of regulations for private schools operating in Vermont.

  • Homeschooling is an educational program offered through home study that provides a minimum course of study and is offered to children residing in that home and to two or fewer children from one family not living in the home.

  • The Vermont AOE has no published requirements for school insurance -- consult a professional for guidance in this area.

Education regulations and resources for starting a private school in the state of Vermont

State funding sources & support

Vermont provides funding for private education but only to independent schools in instances where there are no public schools in the district.

Curriculum requirements

Approved and recognized nonpublic schools must provide a minimum course of study in the following fields: basic communication, including reading, writing, and the use of numbers; citizenship, history, and government in Vermont and the United States; physical education and comprehensive health education; English, American, and other literature; the natural sciences; and the fine arts.

Teacher certification & hiring

Teachers at approved schools need to hold “a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in their field of instruction or substantially equivalent time in training and experience in their field of instruction.”

Looking for more?

Our comprehensive Starting a Private School guide includes great information for funding, curriculum, hiring & much more that applies no matter where you’re opening your school.

Read the Guide

Food services / school lunch

In Vermont, school lunch requirements, including funding for schools offering the National School Lunch Program, are managed by the Agency of Education.

Length of school year

Students must attend school a minimum of 175 days.

Recordkeeping and reports

Schools must report their approval/recognition status to parents each year and must provide names and addresses of enrolled students to the secretary of education annually.

Health and safety requirements

Students must be immunized or provide documentation of a medical or religious exemption. Schools must hold monthly fire drills.


Each legal pupil entitled or required to attend an elementary or a secondary school may be furnished with total or partial transportation to school if the board of school directors decides it is reasonable and necessary to enable him or her to attend school.


Schools receiving public funding must administer state standardized tests.

State and regional associations

  • Independent Schools Association of Northern New England:  ISANNE is a membership association of schools with proud independent traditions in the Northern New England states of Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont.

  • Vermont Independent Schools Association: The VISA mission states that "Independent education must be valued, emulated and preserved as a resource for preparing students to contribute toward a more peaceful, prosperous and just world."

  • Association of Independent Schools of New England: With 200 member schools, AISNE is one of the largest regional associations in the country and represents a diverse range of schools in terms of size, pedagogy, religious affiliation, and, of course, mission. They serve schools by providing strategic information, accreditation, advocacy and a wide range of professional development opportunities.

Starting a Private School

Want to know more about opening a school? We’ve assembled a complete guide to starting a private school, with considerations for everything from planning and finance to branding, hiring, curriculum, facilities, and more!

Read the Guide


We've done our best to pull together current and accurate information. Even so, there may be omissions or mistakes or content that needs to be updated. If you have recommendations for any resources or corrections, we appreciate your input so we can continue to improve this guide for everyone. 

Nothing in this guide should be construed as legal, business, or tax advice. It is important that you engage qualified professionals who can advise you on such matters, and please visit the Department of Education pages for your state to verify you are in compliance with all regulations.

Keep reading